A remarkable history
- The founder and then president of VTHS, Ursula Sissener, first comes into contact with animal assisted therapy in the United States.
- The first VTHS training group for therapy dog teams is developed at the Canine Education Association of Zug and Surroundings.
- A training concept is developed in conjunction with two dog trainers as well as a veterinarian.
- The first educational seminar in Switzerland with Dr. sc. Dennis C. Turner takes place.
- The inaugural group passes the "Delta Tests" and the teams are licensed by The Delta Society USA (The largest ecological association in the United States, with a major emphasis on humans/animals/nature founded in 1977)
- An entrance exam is established
- Further education of the VTHS president in the USA.
- Preparation of a scientific study under the leadership of Dr. sc. Dennis C. Turner.
- Five VTHS teams participate in the study prepared in 1993 in retirement and assisted living homes.
- The VTHS has a new logo!
- Official establishment of the organization in December with 37 founding members.
- Development of teaching materials for therapy team education, and well as team trainer education. Establishment of an exam protocol for judges as well as exam directors.
- Participation of the VTHS at an international conference in Geneva. Presentation of Dr. sc. Turner's study.
- The final exam for prospective therapy dogs teams is notably expanded.
- First team trainer continuing education seminar.
- The first of five intensive educational weeks for therapy dog teams.
- First therapy dog course held in a host institution (Wagerenhof, Uster, Foundation for emotionally and multiply physically challenged adults).
- International registration of the VTHS logo.
- Assistance provided by the VTHS for the establishment of new therapy dog educational programs in Northern Germany as well as in Western Switzerland.
- Inaugural edition of the VTHS newsletter "DOG".
- Participation at the IAHAIO Conference in Prague
- Continuing improvement of educational methods.
- Education at all levels (teams, team trainers, judges, and board members).
- Expansion and redevelopment of the board to seven members.
- The VTHS is awarded the Doron Prize.
- An electronic database is established.
- The VTHS is accepted as an IAHAIO Member (worldwide umbrella organization in the field of the human-animal bond.
- Assistance provided for the establishment of a therapy dog organization in Southern Germany.
- First bilingual course in the Tessin.
- Addition of a VTHS secretary.
- Complete revision of all educational materials for the third time since 1994.
- The website is online.
- Our logo is now trilingual.
- Continuing education on all levels.
- Participation at the IAHIO Conference in Glasgow.
- A commemorative brochure and history are published in celebration of the 10 year anniversary of the VTHS.
- Diverse commemorative events.
- Ursula Sissener steps down, and Peggy Hug is elected as new president.
- DOG is now accessible online.
- The VTHS is awarded the Red Cross Prize for 2008.
- For our 15 year anniversary a commemorative brochure is published.
- The VTHS is awarded the Tierwelt Prize
- Hakle© launches a supportive charitable program, and the VTHS is named as a beneficiary.
- Our new website is available in three national languages (German, French, and Italian) www.therapiehunde.ch.
- The Hakle© fundraising program is renewed.
- 87 new therapy dog teams graduate from 10 different locations in the German speaking part of Switzerland and well as in the Tessin.
- Total membership reaches 1200 active and passive members.
- Our active teams are recognized by the SBB as service dogs which allows these dogs free public transport.
- The VTHS is recognized as a full member of the IAHAIO.
- DOG is published in color.
- An informational bulletin is published in German and Italian.
- A VTHS sponsor, the Hatt-Bucher-Stiftung, enables the purchase of VTHS stuffed animal mascots, and the Professor Otto Belsheim Stiftung sponsors the distribution of Qualipet gift certificates.
- Under the project Future Development of the VTHS, a survey is sent out.
- For the World Animal Day 2014, Migros names the VTHS as a beneficiary of their fundraiser.
- The VTHS celebrates our 20 year anniversary with a small party held at Wagerenhof.
- In commemoration of the 20 year anniversary, a celebratory brochure is published, sponsored by the Hatt-Bucher Stiftung.
- The new website is launched in three national languages: German, French and Italian, as well as in English.